Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was just forced to resign or be terminated. My manager was…

Customer Question
I was just forced...

I was just forced to resign or be terminated. My manager was very intimidating and said I could not consult anyone and that I need to make the decision immediately. He literally stood over me. Refusing to give me any indication of why - he said it was not worth getting into. I signed something I did not get a copy of. I am not even sure what it was other than it was to allow me to be paid through the month of January. After I got home I realized that I may not be eligible for unemployment and that it was why the pressure was on to get me to sign. What are my rights? It was a horrible experience and to be told that I cannot have the time to think through things or contact anyone. It was crazy!! I really need unemployment to support my family!! Can you help? I am in Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I did. Is this a person or computer?

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time I am guessing this is a computer. Not sure I want to continue

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/9/2018
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

A choice of resign or be terminated has the same legal effect as termination. So, it is not a resignation.

I can get unemployment in Minnesota?

Assuming you are otherwise eligible, yes.

Go ahead and file the application. State that you were told to resign or be fired. That is the same as being fired.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your questions? Please let me know.