Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was in a union grievance hearing today. A manager had

Customer Question
stepped in and prepared meals...
I was in a union grievance hearing today. A manager had stepped in and prepared meals for the residents. This was due to a no-call no-show from an employee. The only other cook was 45 minutes away and the meal had to be cooked and served (per Minnesota statute) to the residents within an hour. I stated that the employee would not have been able to make the commute in time to get the meal served to the resident following the statute for long term care (statute 4658.0620). When I had asked where it states in the contract that managers cannot complete the tasks I was directed to the Recognition portion of the contract. Does the "Recognition" portion of the contract mean that the managers cannot complete these things? I thought it was merely recognition of which positions are in the union. Am I wrong and if so, why?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
1/10/2018
Employment Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

If you provide me with a copy of the clause you were directed to I would be happy to take a look at it for you - but it just doesn't seem to make ANY sense that the employee could not step in to assist in the manner that anyone would to help another of their coworkers. If you give me a bit more background on your situation, maybe that would help.

The clause I am talking about is the one that states that ho is in the union. The position of cook is a union position. Since there wasn’t a cook available in a timely manner the manager (non union position) stepped in to make sure things were done in a timely manner. Does that help? Where would I send the verbiage I am talking about?

You can type it out here. So, what is the grievance regarding?

Tina, Lawyer