Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work for a Dr and he paid 12 thousand dollars to my health…

Customer Question
I work for a...

I work for a Dr and he paid 12 thousand dollars to my health insurance in 2016. He did not put that amount on my W2 under insurance. He gave me #4 pay stubs approximately that stated that money was a Bonus. So, I paid taxes on that money. That doesn't see quite Hoyle?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time employment. He and my co-worker are under one plan but he had me go get my own insurance.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My tax man said that the way he is doing "this insurance thing" is not legal. It does not look like he paid for my insurance

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
1/9/2018
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much for your patience. After looking at your situation, it appears as if this may not be legal for the doctor to have done this. According to the state of California, the definition a bonus is something “extra” and an employer is not required to pay a bonus to employees. Insurance is not ordinarily required to be provided, but it's not typically considered a "bonus," but rather a benefit that they agreed to provide to you in exchange for you working there, making it a wage rather than just a bonus amount.

Accordingly, this is something that you may want to bring to your department of industrial relations to a) get clarification and b) see if this can be changed going forward.

How else can I help you today?

With Obamacare, isn't your employerbsupposed to give you insurance of you work full time?
I cannot talk on thrbphone because I am at work.

Oh, that’s not a problem with the phone call. The system automatically asks if you want one, but there is no problem declining the request.

One moment...

With Obamacare, whether they're supposed to provide insurance depends on the size of the organization. If the employer has 50 or more full- time and/or FTE employees, then they'll have to provide healthcare. Does your employer meet that requirement?