Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can a mayor of a village dismiss a chief of police with out…

Customer Question
Can a mayor of...

Can a mayor of a village dismiss a chief of police with out a public meeting

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Ohio Jan 6 2018

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

It has been reported

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
1/9/2018
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

The mayor is the appointing authority and termination of an employee, such as a Chief of Police, would be up to the appointing authority. Furthermore, because this is an employment matter, public hearings are not allowed and employment matters are actual a reason that a town council can go into private or executive session to make determinations regarding employment matters.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.