Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

PA unemployment. I ama a Fl resident. Worked in Georgia last…

Customer Question
PA unemployment Lawyer's Assistant:...

PA unemployment

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I ama a Fl resident. Worked in Georgia last year and in PA this year. I awas laid off in December, tried to file for PA unemployment. It was denied.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

PA i need to know if a resident of another state works in PA only for 16-17 weeks, the rest is in a nother state can he file in PA-am I eligible. the eligibility states 18 weeks orf work in a base year, but does not specify in which state the work had to be completed. I have an account

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
1/9/2018
Employment Lawyer: Thelawman2, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. You can only file for unemployment based on where you worked (and where you qualified for unemployment) and not where you currently reside.

However, there is a concept in unemployment compensation called "interstate claims". This is when you work at a sufficient location to earn unemployment, but then move to another state. You would make the interstate claim to the place where you did the qualifying work. In this case, it would be in Georgia. Here is the number for Interstate Claims for the Georgia Department of Labor who can help you through the process:

• ***-***-****: Interstate Claims

I hope this has been helpful. If so, please provide a positive rating so I get credit for helping you today!

Why filiing in GA f I was laid off in PA? In GA they do not pay anything.

Because that is where your qualifying work was done. You don't have enough work credit weeks in PA to financially qualify.

I have worked for at least 16 weeks or 17 weeks in PA in the base year. I read the eligibility requirements in PA and it states 18 weeks of work in the base year but does not specify that they had to be all in PA.

What you should try to do is apply to PA for a combined-wage claim so they take account of your work in Georgia if you don't believe you are going to get better payments from Georgia by itself.

I read about it. But can I file for it as a resident of another state? And how do I file? I filed an initial claim, they denied, then sent me an appeal form. Is a regular appeal form the same for a combined wage claim? Do you recommend going to a center? How do I indicate to them that they should do combined wage claim?

Yes, you can file as a resident of another state, it would be a combined wage and interstate claim to PA. If you can go to a center to help you with the filing process, then that would be the best thing to make sure you do not lose your access to these benefits. What you might want to do is reach out to PA at the following number so you can explain the situation and make sure you respond properly:(###) ###-####

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If not, please provide a positive rating so I get credit for helping you today.

This number does not respond obviously. Do you know if PA combines wages like this?

Yes, they do

See the following FAQ on their website:

1. I am a Pennsylvania resident laid off from a job in another state, where should I file a claim for unemployment benefits?

Generally, first you should identify the state, or states, where you worked and were paid wages during your base year.

If you have earned wages in only one state during your base year period, you should file for unemployment compensation (UC) with the state where you worked. If you have earned wages in more than one stateduring your base year period, you must file a Combined Wage Claim (CWC) by contacting one of the states where you worked and were paid wages during your base year.

More information is available on other state's unemployment services.

If you need assistance in determining the state where you should file your UC claim, you should contact the UC service center by phone at(###) ###-####

You are not a PA resident, but that doesn't change your right to make the claim to PA since you worked there.

Please remember to provide a positive rating!

Thelawman2
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer