Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

My Name is ****. I Applied for a full-time position on w New…

Customer Question
Hello my Name is...

Hello my Name is ****. I Applied for a full-time position on w New bid that are company put up. I followed the proper procedure for applying and I was offered the position on 1-1-18. Another employee file a greivence because i was offered the job and not him. It goes by senoirity at work the more year you have you would get the job. The guy emailed his letter for the Job when the Bid letter states Fax in ur bid. I was just told today they Gave it to him and took it away from me. I was offered the Job by the Human resource manager and are Union rep took it from me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Compton, California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes I made my complaint to the Union rep Friday when we spoke I told him they Offered me and I accepted it, I was waiting on my start date. The union rep said they had not made a decision of who was getting it. But I told our rep I got the Job how can you take it away after the Human Resource manager offered it to me. Out HR dept are not Union either just FYI.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thats it thnx

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
1/9/2018
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. So, it is possible that you may have a cause of action under the rules of promissory estoppel. What this means is that if you were made a promise, you relied on that promise to your detriment, but then that promise was later taken away, then you may be able to sue for your damages that resulted.

Your union probably has a way to handle these disputes, so you may need to go through them; however, I have reason to believe that if you were offered the job, but it was given to someone else, then you may be able to recover damages for what happened.

What other questions did you have for me regarding this?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer