Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Working as Registered Nurse in the state of Texas would I be…

Customer Question
Working as Registered Nurse...

Working as Registered Nurse in the state of Texas would I be in violation of HIPPA if I allowed specific student medical information to be share with faculty via the school internet?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full Time

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
1/8/2018
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Can you explain in a bit more detail what you mean by "specific student medical information to be share with faculty via the school internet"? What exactly is going on? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Student medical condition, treatments, nurses notes?? Through the Health Information format. Currently teachers and admin have no access to students medical information. With the exception of any student who has a severe allergy ie’ Epi-Pen, Asthma, Diabetes. They can see that there is a “medical alert” which I obtain parental permission to display. However, that is all. They do not have access to my Health Site

Thank you. Do you work at a school, and are you referring to "students" that are attending the school? I think that's where my confusion is coming from. Also, what would be the purpose of sharing the medical information?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I work in a public school. I have no idea why this is being discussed, I made myself very clear to the admin involved that that is a violation of their HIPPA rights and teachers have no need for any “in depth” information concerning their health condition. If in my nursing judgement and with the parents knowledge I felt like further information should be shared I would share it with those with a need to know. I am on campus everyday, I am available in an emergency always.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The teacher that may breech this information would not be found liable, I the Medical Professional and the keeper of all confidential health records would be.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is that not correct

Thank you.

Yes, I would agree that as a nursing working at a school, you would typically be bound by HIPAA and thus obligated to keep medical records confidential except as required to further the student/patients' care. The only exception would be if you had signed HIPAA releases authorizing disclosures to third parties.

Typically it would be best to inform your employer in writing of your obligations under HIPAA. Any you are terminated for refusing to violation HIPAA, you could allege termination in violation of public policy.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup because this question was still open and I have not heard back from you. Was there anything more I can do to assist you? Did you get a chance to review my answer to your question? Please let me know....

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer