Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am seeking some information regarding a severance package.

Customer Question
Hello. I am...

Hello. I am seeking some information regarding a severance package

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

HR at the company I was employed?

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I was a full time employee

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was with the company for 32 years in total - only the last 3 were in USA

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/8/2018
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome. What specifically is your question, please? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have been with the company Gerdau Ameristeel for 32 1/2 years. 3 years ago I accepted a promotion to be relocated from Canada to US to work at Corporate office. ON Dec 31 I received a severance package which was approximately 1/4 of which I would have received if I had still been working in Canada. Do I have any type of entitlement given over 90% of my service with this company was in Canada.

Thank you.

As I am an attorney in the US and have no knowledge of Canadian law, I don't think I'm in a position to answer your question, since I believe an answer would necessarily entail some knowledge of Canadian severance and employment law. I will therefore opt out in favor of an attorney who is better suited to assist you.

Best wishes,

Patrick

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you (I think)

No need to thank me. Someone else should be with you soon. Please do not respond to this message, though, as doing so will take your question off the active list and send it back to me.

Patrick

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Hello Patrick,
I did not receive any further response to my question regarding severance
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 24 days ago

I'm sorry to hear of that. I can contact the site administrators if you'd like a refund. I'm just an attorney who answers questions here, though, so unfortunately I can't assist you beyond that...

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I apologize, I thought you were referring me to someone else. Given my question was not answered, I would like a full refund please.
Tina, Lawyer