Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am a live-in employee for over a year and half now. My…

Customer Question
I am a live-in...

I am a live-in employee for over a year and half now. My employer insists on paying me in CASH and now we are at odds and I am in danger of losing my employment AND housing. What can I do??? He is a multimillionaire and able to $$settle$$ with me....

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California, Los Angeles

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

There never was a formal nor written "agreement." I am full-time, required to live-in with him Monday morning through Friday afternoon. He had me give up my place of residence just two weeks after I began working for him. Aside from his employment practices, do I have rights here as a "resident?"

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. That is pretty much the story. I have asked him verbally to pay me in check and take out withholding. In the past he has hired illegal, undocumented workers. I believe my personal rights have been violated repeatedly here as he continues to come into my room, touched my while I was sleeping AND I was sexually harassed by his contractor last fall.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
1/8/2018
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

So, the answer to your question is you may need to file a complaint with the Department of Industrial Relations. If you are an employee, then you have rights to worker's compensation, to have your unemployment insurance taxes, and federal taxes withheld. Usually, employers have to keep a record of the payments they give you. Otherwise, they may be in violation of California's Labor Code. I wish I could help you personally ;however, the DIR is the place to start. If you click here, you can work on contacting them and filing a complaint against them regarding this issue.

What other questions did you have for me today?