Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am trying to find out if Michigan has a state law for

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to find out if Michigan has a state law for small businesses, under 20 employees, for providing paid holiday, paid sick leave, paid bereavent leave, vacation, or other types of benefits. thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Yes at will and some are full time and some part time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's all I think

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
1/8/2018
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Michigan doesn't require lunch, breaks, any form of sick leave or vacation for any employees. These are all optional benefits.

An employer must pay their employees properly (meaning overtime for hourly employees) and on time.

An employer must comply with all federal laws pertaining to discrimination and safety (OSHA).

That's really it. Very little regulation in Michigan.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

What about Family and Medical Leave acts?

That is a federal law and it doesn't require paid vacation.

Further, it only applies to employers with 50 employees.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.