Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was not paid for Christmas holiday. I worked my regular…

Customer Question
I was not paid...

I was not paid for Christmas holiday. I worked my regular scheduled day before and day after and still was not paid

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

All I know is Alabama is a right to work state

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I prefer to talk if possible to explain the situation better

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
1/6/2018
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

This is only a legal issue if your employer actually pays holiday pay. There is nothing in either federal or state law that requires the payment of any form of holiday pay. It is entirely an employer's choice.

Now, if the employer does pay it, then they can't pay some and not others. So, you have to determine if your employer actually pays it to people. If they do, and they just failed to pay you, you have to inform the employer of this failure to give them a chance to cure it. If they don't, you would then have to file a personal suit under the Wage Payment Act for Alabama. Your state's Department of Labor, unfortunately does not handle these claims for their citizens, as most other state level DOL's do.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.