Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I worked with a company that does fruit flowers and

Customer Question
Hi, I worked with...

Hi, I worked with a company that does fruit flowers and chocolate. I made a few errors, and they are charging me for the baskets and I gave notice but they tell me I have to pay for the baskets or I wont get my checks I also have autism, which they did not know

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Ok

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am very upset because i don't have extra money but i knew they don't like me so I thought I should quit it is in Pa. Painters crossing pa

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will and part time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Only will it cost me money because i have none

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
1/6/2018
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Pennsylvania Admin. Code 34:9.1 sets forth the deductions that are permissible under PA law and it specifically requires that any deduction be for the benefit of the employee. This means it would be illegal for your employer to deduct from your wages for the purpose of paying itself back for mistakes you may have made. In general, the EMPLOYER must bear the risk of any mistakes. This is just part of doing business, and an employer cannot shift that responsibility onto its employees. So, not only can they not deduct from your wages, they probably have no recourse against you whatsoever to collect the "damages" they claim you caused.

Pennsylvania Stat. 43:260.5 requires employers to pay ALL final earned wages to a departing employee by the next regularly scheduled payday. It would be wise to inform your employer of this obligation, as well as the rule against deductions from wages, and let your employer know that you expect your final payment by the next regularly scheduled payday without any deductions. If they don't pay you all your wages, you can file a wage claim to collect what you are owed here.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer