Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Company was just bought by someone else got an offer letter…

Customer Question
Company was just bought...

Company was just bought by someone else got an offer letter but was for $8.00 less an hour if I dont accept can I get unemployment

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

Yes,she said that the new owner expects some people to not come in on monday I was also supervisor but would not be if I accept would be part of production

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

New or before buy

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It was a full time salaried job

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/5/2018
Employment Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

I want to look one thing up before I type out my answer to you - can you tell me what state this is in, please?

Colorado. At will

Thank you. Please give me a few minutes to research and type out a response.

I appreciate your patience and additional information. I'm sorry to hear about the employment changes - that is a significant salary reduction, so I can understand your concern. Unfortunately, because most people are employed "at will," such as yourself, you or your employer can end the arrangement at any time and your salary can be lowered, as long as it does not fall below minimum wage and it is done for a legitimate business reason, as opposed to an unlawful reason (e.g., your salary cannot be cut because of your race or religion).

While there are a handful of states where a reduction in income can make a person eligible for unemployment benefits, Colorado is not among them. And in order to qualify for unemployment benefits, you must have been separated from your job through no fault of your own (a termination or layoff). If you simply leave, you would not be eligible as that would be seen as a voluntary separation from your employer.

I realize this is not what you want to hear, and it pains me to give persons such as yourself bad news. However, it would be unfair to you, and unethical of me, to tell you something that wasn't true. Please let me know if I may clarify anything or provide you additional information. Thank you.

Did you need any additional information or can I clarify anything for you?

RobertJDFL, Lawyer