Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My wife has benefits eligibility dispute at work. CT. She is…

Customer Question
My wife has benefits...

My wife has benefits eligibility dispute at work

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

CT. She is 10 years with a company ahd should have get an extra week of vacation

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

She is a full time Pharmacist

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She is 10 years with a company ahd should have get an extra week of vacation. However, When she was hired she had an option to select No-Benefit as benefit plan. the plan provided the same amount of vacation days, just did not pay for that. After some time employer decided to eliminate that option completely. So, my fife had to get benefits. On the other hands, employment terms stated that full time employee gets extra week of vacation after 10 years of employment.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
1/5/2018
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

What if I need representation?

Understood. If that is the case, I'll provide some resources, but in the meantime, I can provide you quality answers. One moment...

Thanks for your patience. I'm still with you...

Thanks for your patience again. This appears to be a classic breach of contract if she was entitled to that additional vacation time and they decided to take it from her without any legal authority8 to do so. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because you can download the forms right after purchasing. Click here to get started.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Really? ....is this all yon say?
is this all you can say?

Hi, maybe you can help me understand what you were looking for. Generally, the labor laws in your state do not cover things like vacation time. They usually only require that if there is a policy regarding vacation time, then the employer has to follow that and if it is earned vacation time, it has to be paid out upon termination.

Usually, this is going to be a contractual dealing between the parties. I have the sense you may have been looking for something else regarding this. Perhaps you can tell me what issue you take with my answer?