Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I want to kno if there’s anything I can do do about my job I…

Customer Question
I want to kno...

I want to kno if there’s anything I can do do about my job I work through the pilot flying j and I was at the pilot they made me transfer to flying j because my step mother was an rss manager there so I go to flying j and just recently they let the rss managers sister become a cashier there and tell me it’s not the same thing so I can’t do anything about it but it’s exactly the same thing their family also I’m not even blood related to my step mom but their sisters anything I can do

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I reported to the concern lone but I haven’t heard anything and I spoke with my general manager and the district manager about it and they just keep saying it’s not the same thing

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That’s it

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
1/5/2018
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

What is your specific legal question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I already ask the best way I could

Are you asking if they can favor a family member over you in the job assignments?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No me and my step mom work at the same Pilot I had to transfer because we were family now where I work now sisters work in the same positions and they are not making her transfer anything legal I can do about it since I lost my job over it

Before I answer a bit more detail would be helpful please.

1. Do you have a written employment agreement for a fixed term requiring cause for termination, discipline or demotion?

2. Do you believe you were treated differently than other employees due to race, religion, ethnicity, etc.?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No to both of those

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Without a written employment contract requiring cause for termination, you are, in all likelihood, an at-will employee. As such, you serve at the whim of your employer. They can change your duties, compensation, schedule or even terminate for any reason or no reason at all.

The only exception is that any action taken against you may not be motivated by illegal discrimination (race, religion, disability, ethnicity, etc.) or sexual harassment.

If, upon further deliberation you think that may apply to your situation then you need to make a complaint to the EEOC as soon as possible.

Otherwise, without a claim, as described above, the courts view this as office politics and offer no judicial or administrative remedy. In other words, you would need to seek recourse within the HR department.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

Tina, Lawyer