Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am a commission employee at a hair salon. i make 50% of…

Customer Question
I am a commission...

I am a commission employee at a hair salon. i make 50% of the gross sale as commission. i found out the salon owner is also witholding cost of supplies, which was not part of teh agreement and it is an additional charge that i was not aware of. they are doing this to other employees as well, which my understanding is this is an illegal practice for commission employees. What should i do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

I have the documentation showing after i called the payroll accountant, but the owner said i told you i was going to do this and is very rude. she refuses to discuss it,

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Its full time at will employment, commission only.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Only she hid this for over a year, and we have no employment agreement

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
1/5/2018
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Do you have a written commission agreement?

Which state?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
there is no written agreement, but i have the bi weekly reports when i found the backcharges for hair products charged at 6% in addition to teh 50% commission. Its KS.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
other stylist are getting the same thing, i was a salon owner and its illegal to backcharge commissioned employees other than the agreed to commission split amount. she never told me she was deducting an additional 6% for product, and never came up with an employment agreement.

Thank you for the additional information.

A verbal agreement is, in most circumstances as enforceable as written one. It is just harder to prove the terms. If the salon owner is violating the terms of the commission agreement then your remedy is to sue them for breach of contract. If the claim does not exceed $4000, you can sue in small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be a "user friendly", simplified process, so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer