Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I have 2 questions regarding PTO (personal time off). When a…

Customer Question
I have 2 questions...

I have 2 questions regarding PTO (personal time off). When a person leaves a place of employment, can employer not give unused PTO to employee? Also, if employee has to leave work early because of low census, doesn't employer have to give PTO if employee requests it?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time, probably at will, no union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
1/5/2018
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 1 month ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with extensive labor law experience. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Answer: Under Ohio law, “vacation pay is not a gift or gratuity, but rather a deferred payment of an earned benefit and an employer can no more withhold the accrued vacation pay than, for example, it could hold the last pay check the employee earned but not received.” See Condron v. The City of Willoughby Hills, 2007-Ohio-5208 at ¶ 40.

Ohio case law carves out an exception to vacation pay upon termination of employment when an employer institutes a written policy limiting vacation pay. Employers may legally limit the benefits surrounding vacation time including instituting rules as to how vacation is accrued, requiring employees to work a certain amount of time before they are provided vacation time. Employers may also provide a forfeiture clause in the employment contract, stating that employees lose vacation pay at the end of employment if they are terminated for just cause or fail to provide sufficient notice upon termination. Employers may even state all vacation pay is forfeited once an employee ends employment for any reason.

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi