Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My wages consist of a base and then a quarterly bonus that…

My wages consist of...

My wages consist of a base and then a quarterly bonus that is up to a max percentage of my base calculated somewhat arbitrary on basis of performance, revenue, size of bonus pool, etc. My compensation when hired was described in writing as a range of base + bonus. I was informed that there is no longer a quarterly bonus in 2018. Doesn't this constitute an involuntary reduction in wages (CA) ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No ... except that it is a major company that likes to ignore CA employment laws

1/4/2018
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Is your employer simply telling you that there will no longer be bonuses paid moving forward, or are they trying to deprive you of a bonus you believe you had already earned? If the latter, can you please tell me whether there is any language in your contract which states that the bonus is guaranteed? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.

No bonuses paid forward. No more bonus plan for this role. After being hired in this role they decided that in 2018 they will no longer pay quarterly bonuses.

Thank you.

If this is simply a question of them changing their bonus policy moving forward, I'm afraid to say they are permitted to do that upon providing you with notice of the change. This is so because employment is "at will" absent an agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated at any time for virtually any reason. So, since your employer could terminate you and then immediately rehire you on the new terms of their choosing, the law permits them to simply change the terms of your employment to accomplish the exact same thing.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Patrick, Esq.