Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Our current corporate office Sick Time Policy and Paid Time…

Customer Question
Our current corporate office Sick...
Our current corporate office Sick Time Policy and Paid Time Off Policy allow for a liberal use of time. Both policies are below for review.Question 1: If the employee exhausts their 3 sick days in a calendar year, can we change the policy to ask the employees to use PTO (for sick time absences) in these cases?Question 2: If an employee exhausts their 3 sick days in a calendar year and they miss additional time, can they be disciplined (If we do not allow for use of PTO)?
Note: We do not currently have a formal attendance policy.SICK TIME POLICY
It is the policy of the Company to grant ”Sick Time Off” to salary full time employees in accordance with the guidelines below. All Salary Exempt and Salary Non-Exempt staff will be allowed to utilize sick time throughout the year based on the following schedule.
Sick Time Off may be taken in a minimum of four (4) hour increments. Sick Time pay shall consist of the employee’s regular rate of pay for the Sick Time Off period.
Sick Time of up to three (3) days per calendar year may be used for an employee, or illness related to an employee’s family members.
If a staff member is unable to work due to illness, s/he should notify his/her supervisor as soon as possible, but no later than the starting time of the staff member’s day. A staff member must notify his/her supervisor on each day of absence unless other arrangements have been made.
Up to 6 (4 hour) occurrences are allowed per year. Abuse of the Sick Time Off policy will be addressed on a case by case basis.PAID TIME OFFIt is the policy of the Company to grant ”Paid Time Off” to salary full time employees in accordance with the guidelines below. All Salary Exempt and Salary Non-Exempt staff will accrue paid time off throughout the year based on the following schedule.• In year one if hired before July 1st – 5 days accrued.
• In year one if hired on or after July 1st – 2.5 days accrued.
• The January following your date of hire you are entitled to 10 days accrued PTO.
• After 5 years employment, you are entitled to 15 days accrued PTO.
• After 10 years employment, you are entitled to 20 days accrued PTO.At a minimum, 50% of your eligible PTO must be scheduled, not necessarily taken, by June 30th. The remainder of your eligible PTO must be scheduled by July 31st. All approved PTO requests must be submitted to the “Approved PTO” email distribution list. Any available PTO not scheduled by July 31st will be scheduled for you by your manager.Paid Time Off is accrued on a bi-weekly basis. Should your employment with the Company end; the accrual system will be used to compute your compensation for unused Paid Time Off providing you have met the requirements listed in section “Termination of Employment” of this Personnel Policy Handbook.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
1/4/2018
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.
The answer to both questions is yes. As you have a policy you should update to reflect the penalties you seek to implement so there is no claim it’s a violation or lack of notice.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me.Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as experts are not employees of the site and do not get any credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Infolawyer, Lawyer