Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My employer forces employees to use PTO accrued stating the…

Customer Question
My employer forces employees to...
My employer forces employees to use PTO accrued stating the employee has to use it to cover their shift. Is this legal? This was not explained when hired and was not defined in the employee handbook. If PTO is an employees earned pay and employees have flexibility using it. Can an employer obligate the employee to use accrued hours and not allow the employee to opt out and not get paid for those hours?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
1/4/2018
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Unfortunately this is a legal and actually somewhat common practice. Since employers are not required by law to offer any PTO at all, they are free to determine how and when it is used and can "force" an employee to sue the time even when they don't want to.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further...