Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I've been at my company for 10 years in accounts payable…

Customer Question
I've been at my...

I've been at my company for 10 years in accounts payable Ann's my boss is wanting me to sign a form giving him permission to check my credit report. I did not have to sign a form at the time I was hired and there has not been an incident that would require him to check my credit. Is it legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

They are incorporated in MO but moved to KS.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

No. It's full time. No union.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No but thank you.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
1/4/2018
Employment Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Are you asking if your KS employer can run a credit check on you, as an employee?

I'm asking if it's legal without an "incident" to run my credit after I've been there for ten years. This manager, in particular, has had a history of treating females very "different" than male employees. I have a feeling he's trying to weed out certain people. My credit is horrible. I work in accounts payable. My personal credit does not have any bearing on how I do my job. Just because I have bad credit does not mean I'm stealing from the company.

It is legal. That is, KS law provides the following:

Employers may obtain consumer reports, including credit reports, for employment purposes, with certain limitations (Kan. Stat. § 50-703). For “employment purposes” means that the reports may be used to evaluate “a consumer for employment, promotion, reassignment or retention as an employee” (Kan. Stat. § 50- 702(g))

You can see the law here

http://kslegislature.org/li_2012/b2011_12/statute/050_000_0000_chapter/050_007_0000_article/050_007_0002_section/050_007_0002_k/

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that the law prohibits this, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

I figured as much. I wish it was different too! I do have one more question though. This same boss told me I could not have a raise because I have a disabled child and I take too much extra time for his appointments. Is that legal?

They can not discriminate against you because of a disability that you have. But this does not extend to your child...so this is legal.

Again, I am sorry to be the one to bear bad news.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil