Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I had worked for 17 years for a large firm; the first 14…

Customer Question
I had worked for...

I had worked for 17 years for a large firm; the first 14 years were with full time benefits. The last 3.5 years I was part-time. During the last two years everyone in my category was changed from an at will employment status to contract status that included a one year non compete and required 90 days termination notice from either party. The contract also stipulated that my benefits would be those offered on a corporate wide basis according to HR policy. Corporate decided to end health care benefits to part time workers, at least those working less than 24 hours per week. Thus I was slated to lose health insurance benefits while facing a 12 month non compete and a 90 day termination clause. Private health insurance would have cost me 50% of my take home pay, due to my age (over 60) and financial status. Was this a “forced termination”? I opted to take early retirement so that I could qualify for a COBRA.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
1/3/2018
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. So, employers are generally allowed to terminate employees at any time and for any reason. This means that they can switch them from full time to contract basis, limit their health care benefits (to a degree), and also include non-compete clauses and require a time limit for when they must give notice. Usually, companies that are mismanaging their money or facing considerable expenses will do such a thing. It's not generally illegal for them to do so unless they are doing it on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, religion, or sexual orientation. If that is the case, then you may be able to challenge a termination. Otherwise, you may not have much recourse. I'm very sorry.

What other questions did you have for me regarding this?