Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Neighbor is posting on FACEBOOK that my wife is an ex coke…

Customer Question
Neighbor is posting on...

Neighbor is posting on FACEBOOK that my wife is an ex coke addict and that the dog at is being beat with a stick causing problems at the work place with people telling her and showing her what is being posted

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

PENNSYLVANIA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

NO

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
1/3/2018
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Your wife may have a claim to assert for defamation. Actually, you would start with a cease and desist letter to anyone making these false accusations.

If this does not get a retraction, she will need to file suit for defamation. This cause of action is specifically for damage caused to one's reputation. To establish a prima facie case of defamation, four elements are generally required:

1. a false statement purporting to be fact concerning another person or entity;

2. publication or communication of that statement to a third person;

3. fault on the part of the person making the statement amounting to intent or at least negligence (the person knew the statements were false or exhibited a knowing and reckless disregard of the truth or falsity of the statements when making them); and,

4. some harm caused to the person or entity who is the subject of the statement.

This involves complex litigation and it is strongly advised that you retain local counsel to assist you in protecting your rights before taking any action in court for this matter. Also, any cease and desist letter will carry more impact on attorney letterhead.

If you want to send your own cease adn desist letter, here is a link to a template you can modify for your own situation:

CEASE AND DESIST

If you need assistance in finding an attorney, contact your state or local bar association. You can also try Martindale Hubble. Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database of attorneys searchable by location and specialty.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!