Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I want to disclose what I know about Florida Department of…

Customer Question
I want to disclose...

I want to disclose what I know about Florida Department of Corrections, and specifically The last 2 private contractors under the authority of the Florida Dept. of Corrections for Access to medical and mental health care in the Department. I'd like to know what law firm would be best to handle this situation. I live in Orlando, Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

My employment began as full-time, union. It became contract after all of medical services were privatized in 2013

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this time

After 18 years with both the Department of Corrections and Corizon and now MHM, in August of 2016, I was targeted by the newly named Director of Psychological Services with double the caseload of any of my colleagues (2) and nothing was done about it. My supervisor, who this person despised openly, died in her car in her garage in Spring 2017. 3 days before my 60th birthday, I was fired for not having documentation for my work. But I was set up to fail because of my double-sized caseload.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
1/3/2018
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

What is your specific question for us about the situation?

Can I sue, or have class action lawsuit, against the State of Florida and MHM/Centurion under the whistle blower act, wrongful dismissal or any other basis of the information I have?

Thank you for your reply.

You cannot have a class action, you are claiming they wronged you, so you are only one person. In order to have a claim against them for wrongful termination based on you being a whistleblower, you have to prove that you actually made a complaint about alleged misconduct to a state regulatory agency that had authority over them. If you have proof that you made such a regulatory complaint and they retaliated against you for doing so then you can file a retaliation suit against them.

You can also consider potentially that your age is the cause of the conduct, in which case you could also have a claim for discrimination under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act and you would file that complaint with the EEOC for investigation and they would have to issue a right to sue letter.

So, yes, if you have proof you filed a complaint with a regulatory agency about your employer and they retaliated against you, you can sue for that retaliation. Additionally, if they did this to you based on your age, you need to file a complaint with the EEOC and let them issue a right to sue letter and you can then add in an age discrimination claim against the employer.

As far as getting an attorney in Orlando, you can do so at the same site used by other attorneys, http://www.superlawyers.com

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

I’ll call someone locally l, thank you

Thank you for your reply.

Before you start calling for representation, I would start by filing your EEOC complaint first though.