Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I worked for 23 years for NYC and then moved to Metro North…

Customer Question
I worked for 23...

I worked for 23 years for NYC and then moved to Metro North Railroad. I'm 69 years old and still working for MNR. Can I start collecting my NYCERS pension and will that affect my pension from MNR when I retire from my current job?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NY

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full-time, non-union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The MNR pension is not NY State pension, but MTA defined benefit pension program

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
1/3/2018
Employment Lawyer: N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer

Hello my name is Niel

I'd be happy to help you with your legal question.

Generally, you can receive your retirement benefit while you work if your employer is not a public employer in the State of New York. If so you do not need NYCERS approval and there is no limit on your post retirement earnings from your employer. Your employment is not considered a NY state public employer if any of the following apply to you:

• Are self-employed;
  • Work for a private employer;
  • Work for another state or its political subdivisions; or
  • Work for the federal government.

If as you state MNR is not considered a NY public employer then it would appear that you can collect your pension while working for the MNR, and that should not effect your MNR pension. I would suggest speaking with your union's representative, and or contacting the NYERS and MNR pension departments to be sure. Here's link to an article on NYERS's site regarding post retirement employment.

http://osc.state.ny.us/retire/publications/vo1648.php#returning-to-public-employment

If you have further questions and or want to continue discussing this issue I would be glad to do so, just reply with your questions. If you are satisfied with my responses, then please Accept the answer and provide a rating.