Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am on short term disability. my employer HR is requesting…

I am on short...

I am on short term disability. my employer HR is requesting that I send them progress reports from my MD in order to continued being paid. They are using a 3rd party insurance company (Mutual of Omaha) that I have filled out a MR release for for the one specific person. Can my HR employer demand that I give this medical progress info from my MD directly to them? I'm afraid of discrimination.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I am employed full time.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this time

If They cannot demand my personal protected medical record info, under what law would this be protected under? This info is what I'd like to use as a defense if they demand again. The reason why I am worried about discrimination is because the premise of my short term disability is due to my supervisor & the manager threatening my job, creating a hostile work environment, sabotage by my supervisor & collusion with the manager. Retaliation in the form of being written up after going to HR & above the manager's head to "blow the whistle" on the unethical & unprofessional/borderline criminal treatment that I have been subjected to for the past 5 years. Being under this type of harassment/workplace bullying, it caused my body to break down both mentally & physically to the point my MD was afraid I would have a cardio vascular event. I am currently seeing 2 MD's and 2 therapists for the emotional trauma that I have incurred during this period. before switching my career to my current one, I was (& still am) a licensed Certified Occupational Therapist Assistant (inactive IL & FL License) trained in psycho-social rehabilitation & of patients with various diagnoses but specialized in depressive, anxiety and drug related disorders. During which I was not only trained but my job depended on knowing the signs of suicidal behavior. I was so buried & foggy from fighting the juggernaut of an issue at work that I, being a trained professional to identify, act & prevent suicidal behavior that I completely missed my own wife's needs as she slipped into major depression (partially because I was loosing myself due to work stress & "the fog of war" I was in from work) and my wife attempted suicide 2 years ago next week. 28 Xanax 1/2 a liter of 100 proof bourbon & 64 unisom sleeping pills ingested by a 135 lb. woman, the ER dr as well as the paramedics stated that it was a lethal combination. I was not home but was able to get her the help needed right away. I failed my wife and myself due to circumstances exacerbated by the constant discrimination, sabbotage, harassment/bullying & retaliation I endured almost daily for the past 5 years. I just don't know what to do but I want to protect myself as much as I can. Hence, needing this info to add to the mountain of documentation that I've been compiling over the past 5 years.Any info would be great.Thank you kindly,Joe Koszuta COTA\L
1/3/2018
John, Employment Lawyer

When an employer administers its own insurance plan (i.e., is self-insured) they do have the right to administer the plan, which would include getting continuing medical information from a participant, such as yourself. However, under HIPAA and ADA they can only keep the medical information in a sperate file and with access only to the person(s) needing that information to administer the plan. In other words, the medical information should not be available to others that would generally have access to your personnel file, like your manager...it would only be available to those that administer the plan.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Thank you.1) Can you please site the specific sections of both HIPAA & ADA that appies to my situation?
2) The only person who I've signed a release for information from my MD's is the case manager at Mutual of Omaha (which I am speculating is either a 3rd party verification service or they actually are paying out through a plan that my company is part of for Short term disability) & this has worked the past 2 progress reports but now, this person has not followed through on getting this info to my employer for which I am continuing to be unpaid. Basically, this Mutual of Omaha person legitimizes my disability & communicates this to my employer. he is bound by HIPAA to not divulge any details of my records (am I correct on this??) Is there any legal reason for my employer to fire me for not giving the HR benefits rep access to my progress reports directly for fear of retaliation if landing up in the wrong hands?
3) In your professional opinion, given my explanation of the severity of the harassment & discrimination issues I have been subjected to, how do you think I should proceed going forward? Seek counsel prior to returning to work?Thank you!

Yes - see ADA here - https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/12112 (42 U.S.C. § 12112(d))

See HIPAA - here https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/45/164.530 (45 CFR 164.530 (a))

Generally, it appears that Mutual of Omaha is the plan and your employer appears to be administering it at least in part of collecting information. If it is Mutual of Omaha exclusively administering the plan, they cannot share any of the information with your employer or their personnel; you are correct. The benefits rep shouldn't be asking for progress reports from your Dr. It would be illegal for your employer to require medical information from you other than for an FMLA leave, which has its own procedure, whereby your employer queries your doctor for the amount of leave etc you need.

Right now you have at most a technical violation of the ADA and HIPAA. Of course, if the employer continues to demand the progress reports and/or ultimately terminates you for that reason, you then have a case. Then it would be a good idea to get an attorney. I would also suggest to the benefits person at the employer that if they are doubting your continued medical certification for time off they have to follow the FMLA rules for recertification (See 29 CFR 825.308)

Hope this helps. Thanks

Thank you John!! Your information has met & exceeded my expectations thus far! Now, I just have 2 last things to ask.1) I need to verify as to if my "self insured" (per the benefits HR person) company is legitimately "self insured" and is administering the plan.For questions #1 & 2 here's the following information to illustrate the situation:I was told per the benefits HR person that "we only use Mutual of Omaha to take care of some of the medical stuff that we don't know" I was told they're used something like a consultant (which I find to be strange given that they decide to consult an insurance company that provides corporate STD & LTD insurance plans just to legitimize patient progress notes from their MD??). I was also told that the 1st 4 weeks of absence were self paid by the company & anything after that "had to be approved by Mutual of Omaha" per this email:"Hi, Joe.
Because you have been out 4 weeks or more, we now have to get your absence approved by Mutual of Omaha.In order to continue receiving pay, you and your doctor must complete the attached Extension Form. (I emailed this form to your work address 10/12, and mailed it to you on 10/18.) Also, Mutual of Omaha requested that you complete the authorization form from the Institute for Personal Development*, as they will not provide information to Mutual without your consent. A copy is attached. (The form was also mailed to you.)Please email the completed forms back to me as soon as possible. Thanks."*Institute for Personal Development = my MD's officeSo, with all of that to illustrate the situation, in your professional & objective analysis of above said information, what would be your summation regarding whether they are "self insured" & administering the plan using MoO (Mutual of Omaha) as a legitimization contractor for their plan OR is MoO actually administering the plan? I'm leaning towards MoO administering the plan because I was told to fill out & sign the release of info to the MoO rep. ONLY per the email above.Question #2I just received the following email from the benefits coordinator's assistant (same person as the email above)"Hi, Joe.
Mark **** from Mutual wrote to tell me that you asked him to give you a call. As information, Mutual does not make calls directly to our employees to answer questions. If you want to ask Mark a question, you have to go through either George or me.Thanks.Sharon ****
Benefits Representative
***** *** *** ********
Phone: 312/***-****
Fax: 312/***-****
E-mail: ***@***.com"Is this legitimately true?? I sign a release of information form to someone I can't even contact to ask them if they had received the progress report & FMLA forms????The 2 forms I've attachedYour response is much anticipated & appreciated!Joe

They are self-insured up to 4 weeks, then insured by MOO thereafter. MOO appears to administer the plan with some assistance from your HR, namely distributing and/or collection of forms.

This is a situation where MOO just analyzes medical records to determine if you meet the criteria, all other admin functions are done by your HR department; apparently. Which this is legal...they can split up the functions however they like.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

The questions that I have are:
1) Am I required by my HR to give said forms with HIPAA and/or ADA PHI within directly to them?2) Correct me if I am wrong but, doesn't HIPAA state that a "covered entity" is one who administers the plan? Per your statement above, wouldn't that make MoO the covered entity as well as my employer? Therefore, me signing the release for the MoO Rep to have access to my PHI & having my MD electronically send my progress forms containing PHI directly to the MoO rep be legal & in compliance with HIPAA without any reason for my HR to deem me to be out of compliance with their policies? The reason I ask this is that there was a woman in a similar situation to mine for which they ended up firing due to "not getting medical forms from her MD for STD to the company". I am concerned that they will use this as a reason to fire me.So, again the Cliff Notes version of my 2nd question is: Is my method of having the progress forms containing PHI sent directly to the MoO rep be any reason for them to take drastic measures like firing me?

1 - Directly with HR as they appear to be the plan administrator, at least in part.

2 - Yes. Employers are at will, they can terminate for any reason. Terminating for not providing forms seems fickle(as opposed to just denying the leave/claim) but it is legal.

John, Employment Lawyer
I agree. However, I still don't feel comfortable sending my HR my PHI but, because IL is an "at will" state, looks like I have no choice even though I was reassured by the CPO (Head of HR) that this was fine & had done this before without any issues....Thank you for your help!!I believe that you have answered my questions more than my expectations!
John, Employment Lawyer