Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I reached an ADA settlement with my employer 3 years ago.

Customer Question
Hi, I reached an...

Hi, I reached an ADA settlement with my employer 3 years ago. They now may be breaking the terms of the settlement. Does a settlement become an employment contract when it involves reinstatement in return for withdrawing my EEOC complaint?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

This is Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

It is part time but the settlement agreement does not state "at will" or have any sunset or other limitations on it, just that if I withdraw my complaint they will reinstate me which they have for 3 years.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The employer is the State of Wisconsin

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/3/2018
Employment Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

The terms of a settlement agreement are a stand alone contract that resolve the previous dispute. If the employer fails to abide by the terms of the agreement they may be sued for breach in order to enforce it.

Additionally, if the settlement was to resolve a discrimination or similar complaint you can file a retaliation claim against the employer.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney