Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have worked for a company for five years as a salaried…

Customer Question
I have worked for...

I have worked for a company for five years as a salaried manager, they now what to make me hourly, can they

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will I guess, full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They are also reducing vacation time to be different than what I was told when hired

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
1/2/2018
Employment Lawyer: Thelawman2, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Unfortunately, unless you have an employment contract with them which guarantees you the salaried position, there isn't anything you can really do to prevent them from changing how you are paid. The same is true for the reduction of vacation time (but they cannot change what you already earned). In the US, employers are basically given complete control over this type of issue. The only way they are going to get into trouble is if they are doing this because of your gender, race, religion, or disability.

Thelawman2
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer