Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I have worked for a company for five years as a salaried…

I have worked for...

I have worked for a company for five years as a salaried manager, they now what to make me hourly, can they

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will I guess, full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They are also reducing vacation time to be different than what I was told when hired

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/2/2018
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Unfortunately, unless you have an agreement which expressly guarantees your existing terms of employment for a set period of time, the law presumes your employment to be "at will." At will employment can be terminated (and by extension, modified) for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination or modification of the terms of employment is fair, reasonable or even true.

This means your employer can choose to convert you to hourly at any time. They can also reduce your vacation accrual moving forward. You can certainly attempt to negotiate, but there is no way to force your employer to employ you on particular terms.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Were you able to view my answer here? Can you please let me know if you're getting my messages?

Are you online with me?

I'm a bit confused, because the system is telling me that you are online and reading my messages, but I am not seeing any response from you....

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
them hiring me and telling me isn't that a verbal agreement

Unfortunately, that is not an enforceable agreement unless there is a guarantee that these terms of employment will continue for a specific length of time. Otherwise, since employment is at will, the terms of employment can be changed at any time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks

You are very welcome. Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service (using the stars at the top of the page) so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Very best wishes.

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer