Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

It’s been 23 months since my forced retirement. I was part…

Customer Question
It’s been 23 months...

It’s been 23 months since my forced retirement. I was part of a management team at a Philadelphia utility company. My failure to act to an emergency procedure lead to the initial recommendation to fire but after Human Relations Director learned of my 26 years of service, they decided to give me a partial pension provided, I sign a whistleblower’s agreement letter. I have stayed in contact with someone who continues to work for the company and he has relayed that other supervisors within the same department have committed far worse offenses and their actions were dismiss. Do I have any recourse?.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Will we be texting or talking ? I’m in a coffee shop

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
1/2/2018
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Unfortunately, once you made the agreement with them and signed that agreement, you gave up your rights to further actions against them. Even though you were forced to retire and sign the agreement, you had the choice right then to not sign and sue them instead for any allegations. However, I will say there is no law saying that the employer's discipline has to be identical and the failure to punish one employee for some conduct and punishing another is not unlawful unless it is done only because of the age/race/sex/disability/national origin of the employee. Since you signed the agreement though, I am afraid your case is over and you have no other recourse against the employer.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney