Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Just wondering if there is anything illegal if your employer…

Customer Question
Just wondering if there...

Just wondering if there is anything illegal if your employer threatens your job and/or speaks extremely negative about other employees in front of you?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The office manager/HR is in the room and never says a word. My employer speaks to her even worse.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My employer in the past has stated to myself and others that we dont know what we are doing, we are stupid and dont work hard. Im an epileptic and he once told me to increase my meds because i wasnt concentrating hard enough.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
1/2/2018
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, an Illinois licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Before I answer a bit more detail would be helpful please.

1. Do you have a written employment agreement for a fixed term requiring cause for termination, discipline or demotion?

2. Do you believe you were treated differently than other employees due to race, religion, ethnicity, etc.?

There is no written employment agreement, nothing written for cause for termination. We are an office of women and my employer does not hire men.

While it is not illegal, in and of itself, for an employer to be insensitive, rude and boorish, it sounds as as if there may be an element of illegal discrimination based upon gender discrimination.

That is illegal and could support a claim of hostile work environment.

To start the process, contact the EEOC at www.eeoc.gov for more information on filing a complaint. If you are still working there your employment is protected from termination due to filing the complaint. Such termination would be retaliatory and subject your employer to further liability to you.

An attorney is not required, but it would be invaluable in this type of claim. It is not simple litigation and there is no reason you need to learn as you go. Additionally, if you prevail, you would be awarded your attorney fees and many attorneys who handle this type of claim, do so on a contingency fee basis. So, it should not cost you anything upfront.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer