Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I worked for a company for 17 years and back in September…

Customer Question
I worked for a...

I worked for a company for 17 years and back in September was told that my position was being eliminated. They wouldn’t guarantee me a job but they would make sure I would get an interview. As an employee of such a big healthcare as part of being an employee we are guaranteed this anyway. They said if I get the job I would have to go through a 90 day probation even though I have been there 17 years. I had just seen them bring in two different managers for my department (LABORATORY) and watched them 2 years before get rid of all employees that had been there for 15 years to 40 years. I was the coordinator for the clinical lab and the pathology lab. I did not trust them not to get rid of me in that 90 day probation time, and loose my severance pay. Now I am getting to the end of my severance. I have been looking for a job since and now is not the right time it seems no one needs help. I am also can’t just work anywhere because I am very allergic to meat so much I can not even cook or touch anything that has had meat on it. My real question is can I draw unemployment after my severance pay is done, they payed me biweekly for 18 weeks and it is getting close to be ending and I am just devestated that they did this anyway still. I have 2 children still at home and just turned 50. So people are not going to be running up to me to work for them. Please desperately need help.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

This is Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No yet I was just trying to get a step ahead so I wouldn’t be unprepared and shocked.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I only have a high school diploma and no college I am pretty screwed that way but I have 30 pulse years in all insurance billing government and nongovernment.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
1/2/2018
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, an Illinois licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Yes, assuming you are otherwise qualified, you would be eligible after the severance pay ended, to apply for unemployment benefits.

To submit your application online, visit the Illinois Department of Employment Security website at this link: benefits.ides.illinois.gov/File4UI/Benefits

Filing the application online takes about 30 minutes.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer