Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work for an ad agency and the owner informed employees…

Customer Question
I work for an...

I work for an ad agency and the owner informed employees that as of January 1 2018 he will no longer be providing a paycheck as we lost our main account. He said he will be closing the office at the end of January but will no longer pay us. He is not providing two weeks compensation. He is not paying us for vacation days we did not take. He is claiming he does not owe us unemployment. Can you please tell me my rights? I have worked for him at 3 ad agencies over the course of 20 years. I have been a loyal employee and am shocked. Please help.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What does at will mean?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/31/2017
Employment Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Roger, Lawyer

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

An "at will" employee is one who doesn't have a written employment contract, and is not guaranteed employment for a particular period of time; instead, you are "at will". If you don't have an employment contract, you would likely be "at will".

In regard to your vacation time, that's also going to be dealt with largely based on whether you have a written agreement to be compensated for vacation days if you don't use them, etc. If there is no such agreement, you may be in a precarious situation, and recovering the money for the time may be difficult.

As for unemployment, you should be entitled to those benefits IF your employer has paid into the system. You would need to consult your state's department of labor to determine if unemployment benefits can be received from your employer.

I want this cancelled I did not see it was a $50 charge. I saw $5. Please give me information for how to cancel these charges now.

We experts don't set the fee amount.....and I'm not sure what fee amount you're looking at. You can contact customer service if you have questions.