Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am wondering if I can sue CDC? I worked there for 20

Customer Question
Hi I am wondering...

Hi I am wondering if I can sue CDC? I worked there for 20 years.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ca

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Fulltimw

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What would be wrongful to terminate?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
12/31/2017
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

To have wrongful termination, you must be able to allege one of two things.

1. That you had an employment contract stating that you could only be terminated for cause, and you were terminated without cause or without a valid cause.

2. That your termination itself was illegal because it was based on your race, religion, gender, age, disability, FMLA use, OSHA complaints, wage and hour complaints or worker's compensation claims.

Without a contract, specifically like the one I mentioned, our employment is "at will" and can legally be terminated at any time, with or without cause. The only exceptions are reasons which have been expressly made illegal by statute, like the ones mentioned in #2 above.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer