Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Own business under LLC with 2 administrative, 2 LLC members…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Own business under...
Second opinion] Own business under LLC with 2 administrative, 2 LLC members and 5 1099 contractors, can a workers comp investigator require me to show bank statements? what is the proceedure for a stop work order?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/31/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Not only can a workers compensation investigator demand proof of your company financial records, he can investigate to determine whether or not your alleged 1099 workers are properly classified or whether they have been misclassified as independent contractors when they should be employees.

The investigator under the administrative powers of the workers compensation board can issue an order to cease work until proper insurance is in place or a proper determination is made regarding whether these 1099 contractors are or are not legally deemed employees. If the employer objects to the stop work order, they have to go to superior court and object and appeal the determination to the court.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.