Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

In the private sector can you make an employee work part…

Customer Question
In the private sector...

In the private sector can you make an employee work part time if they have taken their pension.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this time

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/30/2017
Employment Lawyer: TJ, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Are you asking if you (as an employer) can force an employee to work? If so, then the answer is no. It is not possible to force an employee to work. You can provide incentives, of course. For example, you have the option of firing an employee who refuses to work. As for the pension, you cannot change the terms of the pension on a whim. So, for example, you would not be able to suddenly create a rule that your employee must work part-time in order to receive the pension.

I'm not certain if I've answered the question that you were trying to ask. Please feel free to let me know.

Does that answer your question(s)? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, and you haven't yet rated me, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.