Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am currently on short term disability and know I don't…

I am currently on...

I am currently on short term disability and know I don't want to return to my job. The atmosphere is toxic and unethical. After my short term disability runs out, would I be able to receive unemployment benefits?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Certainly, New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

"at will" and full time. I've been there 11 years and I'm almost 69 yrs old

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Only that the company I work for is unethical in it's business dealings - bribery actually.

12/30/2017
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

It is very possible that you would still qualify for unemployment even if you voluntarily leave your job. In New Jersey, a worker is disqualified from benefits if the worker “left work voluntarily without good cause attributable to the work.” “Good cause attributable to the work” means a reason directly related to your job, a reason that was so compelling that any reasonable person would have made the same decision to leave. The unemployment office will look at each case separately because every work situation and worker is different. It will expect you to have acted reasonably to try and keep your job, but not to put up with unreasonable working conditions. You will have to tell the NJDOL about your work situation and convince the person considering your case that you acted reasonably in leaving your job.

Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Good morning - I have another question regarding my employment situation. Would it be considered blackmail were I to suggest to my employer that it would be to their benefit, as well as mine, for them to lay me off. My office manager is aware that I have documentation showing that he paid off individuals (General Contractors and Consultants) in order to be awarded the project they were negotiating. The Owner (or End User) would have no idea that he had been ripped off/betrayed by whomever was to be looking our for their best interests.Thank you!!!!!

That could be considered insurance fraud.

Good morning Lawman2 (Jim),
I apologize - I don't understand. Were I to suggest, after i complete Short Term Disability, that my company lay me off, that that could be considered insurance fraud?
Thank you.
insurance fraud on my part.
Thank you.

Being let go cannot be your own fault if you are going to collect unemployment insurance. So if the company lays you off at your direction so that you can make a claim for unemployment insurance, then that could be considered insurance fraud when you later make a claim.

Thank you!!!