Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am joint owner of a house in michigan, the other person…

Customer Question
I am joint owner...

I am joint owner of a house in michigan, the other person has died, we are on teh deed as single man ans woman. the house is up for sale what are my rights

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

What does that mean

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The deed has been pulled and it states that our names and single man and single woman

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/29/2017
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Does the deed list you as joint tenants in the grant language?

Who is selling the house?

the deed states his name a single man and mine as single woman. and we have both signed the selling agreement to sell the house and we had a buyer.

Thank you for the additional information.

The estate of your co-owner now owns her share since you both appear to be tenants in common.

That means that an estate will need to be opened in probate in order to have a representative appointed for their estate to sign a deed.

If they left a will then their estate, including the interest in this real estate, will pass to whomever the will designates.

Otherwise, if they died intestate, the interest passes to their next of kin, in accordance with Michigan probate law.

The first step, though, is to open an estate. Any interested party may file to open an estate in probate.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!