Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am currently a Reseident in Clinical Mental Health with…

Customer Question
My name is***** am...

My name is***** am currently a Reseident in Clinical Mental Health with NCG. I feel as if I am being treated unfairly. I was scheduled for my vacation from 22 to 30 of December. It was planned in advance. We are assigned clients with mental health issues. I was assigned two clients a few days before vacation. One case was about 45 miles outside of our regular jurisdiction. I told my supervisor (whom by the way I was informed by the Board of Counseling is not qualified to supervise me as he is also a resident in counseling leaving us on the same level). Well I told my supervisor that the case was too far for me and then I also found out the client had 3 dogs, which I am allergic to dogs, which has been documented and provided to agency. When I told my supervisor this he sent me a email stating that it was okay they would get someone else. Two days later another case was assigned. which was no problem, I accepted the case. Because some of our clients have medicaid we have to meet certain deadlines. Some of these deadlines are a rush as we often get our cases days or even weeks before deadlines due to the inconsistency of things getting done one time. Anyway as I mention before I was scheduled for vacation so I scheduled to go see client and get paper work compledted. I saw the client paper work completed and because we use computers we can often loose info. So when I got home to upload documentation I realized the information was lost. So I had planned to go back the next day to get it done again. But my 10 year old goddaughter whom I have legal custody of spent the entire waking me up complaining about sore throat.. So around 7 am or later I decided after checking her temp to take her to hospital. I took her to emergency sent email to my supervisor letting him know what was going on. He responded to me in a cold manner telling me sorry about my goddaughter, but I needed to go get signatures on paper work, which was not actually due to the 29th. I told him that I would not be able to get it done, because again I was in the emergency room, not sure what I was dealing with. I felt stressed and pressured sent him a email requesting to speak with his supervisor. He sent me a email back later and asked if I could come into office later to meet him since I missed our supervison earlier. My goddaughters mother came to hospital allowing me to go into my officed and meet with my clinical supervior and then I meet with him at 4. To my surprised he asked me to sign a performance paper. When I asked him why he came up with things that was not my fault and he had never given me any verbal warnings concerning my performance nor has any other supervisor at the agency. I have all my communication through our emails. I there has never been any written warning from him either, which is what is written in the NCG hand book. Supervisors are to give verbal warning and then written warnings before having employee sign a performance agreement.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I am full time I did sign an agreement

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this time

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
12/29/2017
Employment Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
I am very sorry to hear that. It is very suspicious behavior. My recommendation at this point would be to submit a complaint with details in writing to your HR department. This is the first up and documents that your employer has notice of your issues if there is future litigation.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions, otherwise a positive rating would be greatly appreciated.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer