Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

A co-worker accessed mine and another co-workers

Customer Question
A co-worker accessed mine...

A co-worker accessed mine and another co-workers inter-office chat log and found less than stellar comments about her work performance and other not complimentary comments. Nothing sexual or threatening.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Arizona. She is not a manager, and was not directed to access chat log by management or owners. Did she violate any privacy laws?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. She quit and gave owners printed copy of chat log. In addition, owners directed me to to view chat log where I found several more insulting comments directed at me to outside vendors and several comments about quitting as far back as 4 months ago.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
12/29/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

No privacy laws were broken by what you describe, as an employee never has a legally enforceable privacy expectation with regard to their work computer. That said, many employers would find this sort of breach unacceptable and take disciplinary action against the offending employees. However, that would be completely up to the employer. No law requires them to take action, so all you can do is report what happened and let them decide how to handle the situation.

I hope this answers your question. If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

Tina, Lawyer