Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

What you charge for helping with garnishment of payroll,

Customer Question
What you charge for...

What you charge for helping with garnishment of payroll, bank accounts or putting leans on houses or property?

Lawyer's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.

Can I ask another question?? a guy worked for me for 17 years. took a draw each week and we settled at end of month. he was paid on commissions. he got behind , I was out sick for about 6-9 months, and he owes me 23000.00. I stopped his draw, so he quits and went to work for competortor.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ft Lauderdale florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not as of now....need help...

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/28/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

Guy worked for me 17 yrs had draw every week got behind when I was out sick. I stopped draw he quit owing me money
Went to work for competitor. I just want money back

if this guy has taken money from you that he owed you, and you had a valid agreement as such, then this appears to be a classic breach of contract. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because you can download the forms right after purchasing. Click here to get started.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

I am in Alabama, he lives in fort Lauderdale??can I sue him from here?

At the time he stopped paying, did he live in AL?

no I have always lived in Alabama, and he has always lived in ft Lauderdale.

Understood. You could sue in AL because technically the contract was breached there; however, he may challenge jurisdiction because jurisdiction is usually proper in the place where the defendant lives. So, you will probably have to file in Fort Lauderdale and make the occasional trip. Many times, courts use things like Court Call for those who live out of town so you don't have to make the trip all the time. Sometimes, there's a small fee for doing that, but it's cheaper than a flight or a drive. Did you have any other questions for me?

no, other than the fact...you know any good attorneys for this case down in that area???

One of the hardest things to do sometimes is find a lawyer that you can trust. Google searches are a good place to start, but usually the lawyers who pay the most can get bumped up to be on the first page regardless of their quality. One thing I recommend is going through your state’s lawyer referral service (LRS). The LRS in each state typically requires the attorney to have several years of practice, be free of discipline, and have adequate staffing to assist people. Here is the link for the Florida LRS click here. Was there anything else I can help with.

Hi, I noticed that we never had a chance to reconnect on this. I’m totally ready to help. Did you have any follow up questions for me or any other facts to add? If not, would you be so kind as to rate your opinion of my service?