Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have an employee who refuses to sign an updated policies…

Customer Question
I have an employee...

I have an employee who refuses to sign an updated policies and proceedures manual because it will require Saturday work for a temporary time. This employee is also on a 30 day probation from previous discipline problems. I can't make special arrangements for one person while others will have to work.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

We are an at will employer, full time employee

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/28/2017
Employment Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

I understand that you want your employees to sign the policy and procedure manual but one employee does not want to do it. I also understand that the employee is "at will," meaning there is no employment contract.

"At will" employees can be fired or laid off without any reason.

Is there a discrimination concern here? Meaning that you may be accused of discrimination?

There hasn't been anything he has been asked to do that everyone else has.

Thank you for the additional information. Unless the person is being treated differently based on a protected class and there is no evidence of retaliation for reporting a work violation, an employee can let go an at-will employee without any reason at all. It is always good to document or keep a record of what is occurring prior to firing an employee.

Does this answer your question?

If you need further assistance, just let me know. I meant to say that an employer (not employee) can let go an at-will employee without ay reason at all (except for discrimination purposes). Best regards.

Hello again:

I am just checking in to see how things are going. Have I answered all your questions? Has this been helpful to you?

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney