Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Was offered a severance package (lump sum) due to

Customer Question
Was offered a severance...

Was offered a severance package (lump sum) due to downsizing, my position was eliminated, I would like to negotiate the amount they offered. Maybe double the amount to help cover Cobra insurance. I have not signed the form yet, and they do not want it back till Jan. 2, 2018 which will be my last day on their payroll. How do I go about negotiating more?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

"at-will"

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/27/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Do you have any reason to believe that you are being let go because of a legally protected trait, such as your race, religion, disability, gender, age or something along those lines? Also, how long have you been with the company? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.