Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I’ve just received an letter of from the state of New York.

Customer Question
Hi, I’ve just received...

Hi, I’ve just received an letter of from the state of New York. I currently work in a hotel that has defended another employee use of word “Little ni**er”.

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Both. I hired an firm and the investigator seem to have no probable cause of discrimination. Haven’t spoke to my attorneys yet. My question is this normal to have to appeal with higher courts in matters like these. We’ve put together 10 different charges and all seems to have worked in the corporate favor. I am currently employed there

Lawyer's Assistant: Is your employee "at will?" Does the employee belong to a union?

Union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, i have witnesses and if under oath, the outcome would have differ.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
How much will I be charged ?
12/27/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

If you have evidence that you were discriminated against based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin then yes, it is fairly common for them to force employees to sue in court over those claims. Generally, the state civil rights commissions are so busy that they simply go through the motions in these investigations and simply claim they cannot find probable cause and you can sue if you want because they are simply over worked for the volume of case they have.

So, quite frankly, they do force people to go to the courts to litigate these matters and present their evidence in the courts.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney