Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My husband worked for the local township as their

Customer Question
My husband worked for...

My husband worked for the local township as their maintenance man for 12 years. He had a heart attack in May. He was unable to work for 2 1/2 months. The summer worker worked full time to cover him. He made $13/hr. My husband only made $11/hr after 12 years. So my husband asked for a raise. The board would not grant a raise so he resigned. The township has now hired 2 workers to replace him, one for $13.50/hr and one for $12.50/hr. This makes it evident that they just wanted my husband out. The complicating factor is that my husband was the twp supervisor as well, an elected position. He has now resigned that at well. I feel they discriminated against him because of his heart attack even though he had full clearance to return to work with no restrictions. The board really never gave a good reason why they would not give him a raise.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

The summer helper had originally made just $9/hr but asked for a raise in the absence of my husband. The board granted his raise to $13/hr. This guy had no intention to stay fulltime as he already had a winter job to go back to.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Of course it is "at will" employment which means they can replace him for any reason or no reason. The fact remains that this is plain wrong and unfair treatment.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/27/2017
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.On review of your facts, you have a good case.Employer cannot discriminate or retaliate in this manner. I am sorry this happened. I will do the following: 1. suggest options for pursuing a case 2. preparation tactics 3. way to find a local lawyer if you still wish to involve one but can save on fees by following steps 1 and 2martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me.Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. Happy Holidays!
Thank you.
Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. Happy Holidays!