Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was fired from a live-in management position at an adult…

Customer Question
I was fired from...

I was fired from a live-in management position at an adult foster care home after being there for 10 months. (this took place on Dec 1)

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

The administrator knew about an arrest on 5/8/2016 for driving while impaired. I had mistakenly taken the wrong dose of a prescription med that I had been using for a long time, which led to the arrest I'm in Michigan The administrator was key in my transferring to the new management position and I was not aware that a clean driving record was required. I was never asked by the board members who interviewed me. A disgruntled staff (my assistant manager) went online with the intention of digging up dirt on me and he found the arrest and I was terminated and walked off the property the following day without any warning I was forced to move back to my hometown and finally have all of my things out of the apartment that was a part of my compensation. I was not given a 30 day notice of eviction I am wondering if I would have any legal grounds to ask to be compensated financially. I have no job, all of my earthly possessions are in a 10x10 storage unit and my health has taken a nose dive with medical expenses completely related to the termination. That's about it...

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet I have reached out to Western Michigan Legal Aid but have not been able to connect. Their online application for assistance is not workig.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

*workinng I've been told by the Executive Director that my firing has nothing to do with job performance over the last 10 months. He assures me that it is only due to the arrest on my driving record

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/26/2017
Employment Lawyer: Andrew, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Andrew
Andrew, Lawyer

Hello I am a licensed practicing attorney with 20 years’ experience hopefully I can help with your problem. Please give me a moment to review and respond to your question.

Sorry to hear about your situation. In Michigan you have to the absolute right to a notice of eviction and to be treated just like any other tenant would.

Did you have any other questions? If not please don't forget to rate me. 5 stars is appreciated. Thanks!

in regard to my job termination... The person who hired me and approved of my promotion to live-in management knew about my arrest, but denied knowledge. I have texts to support the fact that he was told about my interaction with sentencing, a probation officer and was using a conditional license which allowed me to drive to and from work and while at work (I was providing CLS services at the time for an individual in the group home he manages in Grand Rapids.) He filed paperwork to change my pay rate from hourly to salary, which I never signed although there is an area requiring staff signature. I never signed a contract for the management position - even though I asked for one. I was never asked directly about my driving record and I assumed it wasn't a problem since the administrator already knew and had initially approached me to submit a resume for the open position. I never intended to "hide" it since I know everything is available online. Do I have any grounds to seek a wrongful termination and financial compensation for this blunder which has totally turned my life upside down with no home, no job, and very little savings to support myself until I get another job which will allow me to find an apartment?
On top of everything else, the staff who intentionally set out to destroy my reputation has since stepped into a role that I had told him he was not going to be trained for due to poor job performance and I still feel he's not qualified to manage the 6 vulnerable individuals that live at the AFC home. I had approached him about appearing sedate and lethargic after I was concerned that 30 Ativan tablets had been stolen out of my med cupboard. (The administrator filed a police report since they are a controlled substance) This staff told me that he "had to do something" after I had that talk with him. (Which to me says something about revenge and protecting himself...) The staff is justifying his discovery by claiming that it was for the safety of the residents in our home to make himself appear in a more favorable light. He's claiming that the men are "less worried now and there's less stress in the home. They were never in danger. I have taken action immediately after the arrest, knowing how close I came to killing or injuring others and eliminated all controlled prescription meds that I had been taking. I have no intention of running that risk again. I can support that with pharmacy records to confirm what I am taking currently. The residents (developmental disabilities) are now having "target behaviors" which include defecating in the shower, vomiting, hiding medications rather than taking them and other unusual activities which can be related to my abrupt departure.
Any input
Any input as to whether I can even file for some type of defamation of character? Although he found legitimate facts about my past, his motivation was to spite me and remove me from a position of management above him. He has since applied for my vacant position.
Andrew
Andrew
Andrew, Lawyer