Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My question would relate to age discrimination. In 2010,

Customer Question
My question would relate...

My question would relate to age discrimination

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discrimination issue discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

In 2010, when I was 70, I accepted a 40 hour full time job as Staff Accountant for a non profit organization. I actually reported to a contractor that did the agency financial work.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

In spring of 2010, my job was changed to a 20/30 hour job. When no job functions were removed from my job, I requested R I F because of the reduction in hour s with no reduction in job functions. Th

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/26/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much for your patience on this.

This to me sounds like you would have a case of employment discrimination which is prohibited under state and federal law under the Age Discrimination and Employment Act. The EEOC is the group that may be able to tell you all of your rights and conduct an investigation.

The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission field office in your area will serve as the agency that would oversee the complaint, should you decide to file one. There are some basic processes that the EEOC files that I think you should be aware of, and I have listed them below:

The initial pre-complaint process can be found at 29 C.F.R. §1614.105. This is the process whereby you may bring this action to an Equal Employment Opportunity Counselor within 45 days. The Counselors must advise
individuals in writing of their rights and responsibilities, including the right to request a hearing after an investigation by the agency. The process may go through informal mediation wherein the employer and the employee try to come to a reasonable agreement. It’s voluntary and I highly recommend it in most cases.

Regardless, the EEO Counselor will issue a report based on their initial findings. Once the employee receives notice of the findings, they have 15 days to file a formal complaint.

The formal complaint process can be found at 29 C.F.R. §1614.106-108. Basically, the EEO will conduct a full investigation and come up with a Report of Investigation. The employee has the right to request an administrative hearing with an administrative judge after receiving the ROI or they may sue in a federal district court. Mediation is always still on the table. If the parties cannot mediate, then the parties will go through the administrative process or a federal civil proceedings and then the judge will issue a “Final Agency Decision” (for administrative hearings) or a ruling (for civil actions) If the employee doesn’t like the decision, then they can always appeal. A quick Google search will reveal your local EEO office so check that out.

What other questions did you have for me today?