Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am a Physical Therapist Assistant and according to the…

Customer Question
I am a Physical...

I am a Physical Therapist Assistant and according to the practice act I Have to work under a supervising Physical Therapist. Well, the only Physical Therapist at my work place was suspended w/o and technically since I do not have a supervising PT I cannot work. I have 3 questions that concern me. 1..will there be any disciplinary actions taken against me b/c I cannot work without a PT supervisor which would jeopardize my licensure? 2. Can I have them pay me for time off b/c it was not my choice to be off? and 3 If not am I entitled to unemployment?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Yes I'm sorry. This is in NC

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time and no union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's it

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
12/26/2017
Employment Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience, including extensive experience in the regulation of health professionals. I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

1) You will not be subject to discipline by the licensing board as long as you do not work without supervision. If the group can get a substitute physical therapist in to supervise you you can work. Otherwise, sadly you can not.

2) The law will not force your employer to pay you under these circumstances unless you have a contract with your employer that provides for this situation.

3) You are eligible for unemployment compensation because you are out of work through no fault of your own. If you are denied unemployment compensation make sue that you appeal and go before a hearing examiner. Sometimes the Unemployment Compensation Office issues denials when they should not.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney