Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

A company I am planning on doing contract design work for…

Customer Question
A company I am planning...
A company I am planning on doing contract design work for wants me to sign a work order for 1040 hrs at a defined hourly rate that I'll invoice monthly. But I may want to take a different full time job after a few months if offered. How binding is the work order if I am invoicing monthly and give sufficient notice I'd stop working at the end of a month?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/26/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

If you are promising to work that specific number of hours, which it sounds like you are, you would likely be found in breach of your contract if you resigned before completing the agreed upon amount of work. Your employer would have an obligation to mitigate its damages, meaning do everything they can to find a replacement for you. So, if you provided reasonable notice, it's very likely they would be able to find someone else and there would be no real disruption in the services they needed. But if the replacement charges a higher rate, you could possibly be liable for the difference, since your employer is damaged by having to pay more for the work than they otherwise would have had you not breached the contract.

There's also a decent chance that your employer could simply choose not to sue you at all. Lawsuits are costly and time consuming and when damages are not significant, it's often just not worth the effort.

I hope this information is helpful to you in deciding what to do. It's really a situation of weighing the pros and cons, risks and benefits. There's no guarantee you won't be sued, but the amount of any liability is probably not very significant, and may very well not even be enough for your employer to actually pursue a lawsuit.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further. If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup because this question was still open and I have not heard back from you. Was there anything more I can do to assist you? Did you get a chance to review my answer to your question? Please let me know....

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer