Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have venous insufficiency in both legs and lyphademain the…

Customer Question
I have venous insufficiency...

I have venous insufficiency in both legs and lyphademain the right. I applied for and received an intermittent leave for surgery, follow ups and physical therapy. My boss then told me I had to apply for an accommodation to work from home. The initial form didn't contain an add on regarding telecommute at all. My doctor after our conversation on role etc.was informed about my cubicle environment and who I support/work with. I'm in IT. Most of the support work is on the phone, the same as it would be in the office with business users in the next state. I have one team member that's not the same position in my state. Right now the only relief from the swelling is legs out front or completely vertical up the wall. I can't do any of that in my cubicle to control the swelling, numbness, or mobility. We have others in the IT department that work from home and one that lives across the country. I additionally found out about bone spurs in both knees. The only suggestion for those was to remove all pressure and to get injections or total knee replacements. The accommodation form they now want me to complete is for 3 months vs 6 vs the original of a year.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I'm in Illinois, my company has is Illinois.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Sorry hq us Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Illinois is an at will state, I'm full time. We have no union.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
12/26/2017
Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 3 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

I have carefully reviewed your post. However, I did not see a specific question. What is your specific question?

Thank you for your cooperation,

How should I defend based upon these recent requests? I did pay for an additional visit with my primary care to add a bit more detail in the accommodation form. I spoke directly with the new HR rep as she discussed what exactly my condition is, how I work from home, etc. This hr rep told me unofficially to just put down exactly what was on the last form. There's no way I can heal in the current cubicle environment and they don't have any accommodation in the office location.

Thank you for the information.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

I did receive an award and there have been no write ups or complaints. I've even taken on more work since my coworker that was the same role but supporting different groups left.

The only the way to defend is to list your ailments and why you need to be working from home: why you need to reasonable accommodation. That's all you can do. If your request is denied or if you are not given proper accommodation, then you need to file an appeal.

Best wishes,

Tina, Lawyer